I’m so excited for this new series of travel bucket lists! I’m starting it off with my hometown of course – the Japanese capital city, so here is my Tokyo bucket list!
This list was so fun for me to make, and it’s the stuff that always makes me love being in Tokyo. People I’ve shown around also seem to love it, and it adds a bit of fun that maybe you wouldn’t get in a serious travel guide!
I have a whole series about travelling in Japan, so please check it out if you think that would be helpful!
What's to do in Tokyo?
Tokyo is a gigantic city, and it can sometimes be hard to know what to do, and what to prioritise if you’re short on time! I’ve put together a fun little bucket list about the top 30 things to do in Tokyo. If you’re looking for a more in depth travel guide, please be sure to check out my post about everything you need to know about Tokyo! It has details about what to do, eat shop, where and how!
The size of Tokyo can be hard to comprehend. It’s actually about 9 times the size of London, and also much denser! You can pretty much eat, drink and experience anything and theres a bit of everything for everyone.
Tokyo bucket list
- Take in the view from the top of the Sky Tree
- Ride a rickshaw in Asakusa
- Pray at Senso-ji
- Eat a crêpe on Takeshita-dori
- Go to the Tokyo Tower at night
- Eat fresh sushi at the Tsukiji food (outer) market (not the auction market, which has now relocated!)
- Go shopping on Centre-gai in Shibuya
- Take in the crowds at the Shibuya crossing
- Get a stunning view of Shinjuku and Tokyo from the Metropolitan Government Building
- Take a stroll through Yoyogi Park
- Visit the Meiji Shrine
- Indulge in some beauty shopping at Matsumoto Kiyoshi (check out my J-Beauty guide here!)
- Explore the tech-y shops in Akihabara
- Eat at a robot cafe
- Walk around the old-style traditional streets of Shimokitazawa
- Catch a game of baseball at the Tokyo Dome
- Have the best day at Tokyo Disney Resort!
- Dinner with a view from Ebisu Tower
- Take a day trip out to a hot spring and stay at a Ryokan (I recommend Hakone)
- Eat the most incredible ramen in Shibuya
- Indulge in an all-you-can-eat-and-drink!
- Visit Ueno park (and maybe even pop into the zoo!)
- Enjoy local night life in Shinjuku and visit an Izakaya (like a Japanese bar/pub!)
- Go to an arcade in Shibuya, win a toy and take some funny photos in a booth!
- Take in the view over Tokyo bay and the Rainbow bridge
- Go to the Miraikan museum in Odaiba
- Eat some fried chicken from 7-eleven
- And get some rice balls from Lawson
- Have a traditional tea ceremony in Shinjuku Go-en park
- Enjoy a restful sleep in a tatami room
Japan and more
I also did a post about things you should know before travelling to Japan, which has some handy tips for your travels!
Are there any places or experiences you would add? What were your favourite parts of the city, and what would you like to do there?
I’m hoping to post more bucket lists, and hopefully get #travelTuesday to be a regular thing on my blog, so I’m super excited for that! I’ll also be sure to do more places in Japan, maybe Kyoto and Osaka too. Where else do you think I should do within Japan?
I really hope you enjoyed this post, something a little quick and fun! If you or anyone you know are going to visit Tokyo, and I would be thrilled to know what you think!
This series is definitely going to be fun for me to do, please let me know what you think, and what city you’d like to see next 🙂
See you in the next one,